Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sustained

Dear Mikkie,

In church on Sunday, we had a great lesson. The teacher asked a question open for comments, asking what's something you've gone through where you've felt sustained?

A few times came immediately to mind, but I wanted a chance to hear how other's have felt sustained through tough times. I didn't get a chance to share my thoughts, but as I sat there thinking I realized how blessed I am. God has not given up on me or forsaken me once, not once. There have been many, many times since you died that I felt like giving up and didn't want to go on anymore living with this pain and grief the rest of my life. As I look back, I know why I am still here today and how I made it through those times (and still do). God has sustained me through my difficult times, lifting me up, strengthening me, comforting me when I feel little to no desire to move forward. He was there, continues to be there for me, sustaining me through my trials and times when I want to give up.

After the comments were done, the teacher left us with a poem. It brought tears to my eyes as I can testify how true it is. The poem reads:

It Takes Just a Moment

It takes just a moment, for your world as you know it to be shattered by one simple word
the doctors words cut right to the core of our souls
It's cancer was all that was heard
It takes just a moment, to re-evaluate your priorities in life
life and death are out of our hands
it's fragile at its best so live each day to its fullest.
It takes just a moment, to put family and faith at the top of your list
to ask for forgiveness of those you have hurt,
to hug and kiss all the loved ones you hold so dear to your heart
to say I Love You just because you're you.
It takes just a moment, to share a kind work with a stranger
to smile at the person next to you on the elevator or standing in line
to hold open a door for the one walking behind you.
It takes just a moment, to share an act of kindness before it's too late.
It takes just a moment, to get down on your knees
to pray to your Savior for forgiveness and love
It takes just a moment, so make every moment count as one day there will be no more.

As you can imagine, it hit real close to home with me, though the beginning for me would have been a little different.... my world shattered when I heard those 4 words, "She didn't make it."
Before, that would have been just another touching poem, but now it is reality, not just a story and I feel so strongly about it all. I wish the whole world would listen if I shouted out "Don't take life for granted! Live every day as if it were your last! (or any of your loved ones). You never know when time is up."

Anyways, I'm blessed so much. So blessed to have a God who loves me so much and strengthens me when I'm weak, lifts me when I'm down and sustains me when I feel there is no way I can possibly go on.

I'm blessed to have 2 sweet angel girls and a baby boy on the way! I would do anything in the whole world for my children. I treasure you more than any earthly treasure. I love you so much.

Love,

Mama

0 comments: