Saturday, August 13, 2011

In Memory of....

Sweet baby of mine,

It's inevitable, your one year mark is upon us. There's no more denying, I might as well face it as best I can.
I have been thinking and pondering much over the last several months of how to make this day a little more bearable, a little more meaningful. There's so many days on the calendar that are declared 'national pancake day', 'national eat soup day', 'national cow day', etc; I figure if all those seemingly ridiculous "national days" can be made, I can declare my own, but not ridiculous, something meaningful. I want everyone to remember you, even if they don't know you, to remember what we learned and how we were affected from your life and death. After much, much thought and even prayer, the idea came.


To anyone who may be reading this blog and everyone else:

I've had many people say that they want to do something for us but they don't know what. If you would like to do something for not just us and in memory of our sweet girl, Mikayla, but for yourselves also, I invite you to such an opportunity.

I declare August 14th, national Forgiveness day. We don't know how much time we have and you don't want to live or leave with any regrets.

I know there are many things that I could’ve asked Mikkie for forgiveness for before she left so suddenly. I think that’s what made her death even harder, I didn’t get to apologize to her face, instead I had to do it to her lifeless body in her casket. Trust me, you do not want to have that experience…. Losing a loved one and not being able to ask forgiveness or right any wrongs. I know that doing this in Mikkie’s memory would make her happy. It's actually a domino effect, it makes everyone happy. I want her memory to continue to live on, I want everyone to remember her and the precious things we have learned through all this heartache and pain.

Throughout my reading and studying over the course of this year, I’ve come across these gems of quotes:

  • Grudges sour your mood and ruin your day. Carrying a grudge for so long wastes a lot of energy that could be used for living life to the fullest.
  • When we hate our enemies we're giving them power over us, in our sleep, appetites, blood pressure, health, and happiness. Our hate is not hurting them but is turning our days and nights into a hellish turmoil.
  • We should be too big to take offense, and too noble to give it. Abraham Lincoln.
  • You can't hold onto happiness unless you let go of grudges.
All of this is so true! What are we trying to prove by holding grudges? What good does it do us? Absolutely nothing. Forgiveness and letting go of those grudges sets you free and you are no longer prisoner of your hatred.

D&C 64:9 'Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to aforgive one another; for he thatbforgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.'

I for one, do not want to be held accountable for that sin of not forgiving, whether it be my fault or not, it does not matter, unless I make things right, I will be held accountable. If I do my part and sincerely forgive but the other person does not accept it…it is no longer my sin, and they will be the ones that will have to answer for it. So to me, who cares who caused the offense, I would much rather be clean of that condemnation than to prove who’s right.

Thomas S. Monson said in talk “Love at Home”:

“Give your child a compliment and a hug; say, ‘I love you’ more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of ‘what if’ and ‘if only.’ …

“Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey and share our love with friends and family. One day, each of us will run out of tomorrows. Let us not put off what is most important.”

“What is most important almost always involves the people around us.”

"We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us.


I invite anyone to take advantage of this time and in memory of our Mikayla, make a commitment to either ask for forgiveness or forgive another. It may be someone close to you, it may be someone you don't even know but are harboring ill feelings towards for something, it may even be yourself. As you think of someone, remember this, "One day, each of us will run out of tomorrows. Let us not put off what is most important.

Take that name and either write it on a white balloon and let it off into the sky, or just think of that name as you let the balloon go. If you would rather not participate in that, but still want to do something special in memory of Mikayla, let some white balloons off into the sky. Why white? Because White symbolizes purity, cleanliness, truth..... I also think of heaven and angels, reminding me of Mikkie.

-----

Sweet Mikkie, I love you so much. "We will be together again soon.....I'll see you soon."


Love me always,

Mama

4 comments:

Traci said...

It's so fitting - I'm preparing my lesson for tomorrow's sunbeam class, and was planning to sneak in some thoughts on forgiveness in Mikkie's memory. I finally looked up the lesson I'm supposed to be teaching tomorrow, and it just happens to be about forgiveness anyway! My sunbeams will have balloons to let loose, and we will do it as a family later as well. Wish I could be with you tomorrow!

swankypup said...

Beautiful idea, Laura! FORGIVENESS DAY! Traci told me tonight about your blog post, and I'm not even sure where I'd buy white helium balloons... BUT I will definitely do a MENTAL WHITE HELIUM BALLOON and let it go with someone's name on it tomorrow. :o)

oregon said...

Someone in sacrament meeting today refered to the things we all need to remember we learn in primary. Reading our scriptures, saying our prayers, etc. Along with Traci I taught the sunbeams about forgiveness today. The difference being it was before I read your post. We talked about how it doesn't make anyone feel better inside if you don't forgive. I agree with the fact that it includes forgiving ourselves too which is sometimes harder. I especially love "we will never regret kind words spoken" What a wonderful sentiment you've come up with for the day!! We love you tons!! You guys are terrific!!! No hellium today but maybe tomorrow for FHE:)

Erika said...

I feel honored to know you. You are a special child of God. You are so right. Life is over in an instant and you can't bring it back. And often it is to late to say I am sorry.