Monday, August 23, 2010

God's tender mercies

Dearest Mikkie,

I know you read my letter yesterday and that God heard. I saw His tender mercies at hand last night...once again. Faith fell asleep in her room without a fuss! She did come into our room at 2, but she slept through the whole night, as did all of us. That, to me, was a miracle.

Just like at your funeral. I know you were there, I felt you holding me up as I read my poem and throughout the whole day. I was amazed at how well I was holding up. Do you remember the poem I read for you? I worked on it for 2 days and wanted it to be very special for you. I hope you liked it. I'm thinking you did, from what happened afterwards. I'm going to share that poem once more with you, and now it will be written for you to always read.

I’ll Think of You

Now that life has changed and things have become harder to do,

I’ll look at the world with another view.

Each time I see a butterfly flutter pass,

I’ll think of you

How life can transform in the blink of an eye.

Each time I see a helicopter buzz through the sky,

I’ll think of you

Flying to Jesus to be safe in His arms.

Each time I see the rain falling down from above,

I’ll think of you

Shedding your tears each time that I cry.

Each time I see a flower in bloom,

I’ll think of you

Bringing peace to my soul and joy to my heart.

Each time I feel the sun’s rays shine through the window,

I’ll think of you

Letting me feel the warmth of your love.

Each time I feel the wind brush on my face,

I’ll think of you

Sending me kisses and blowing them my way.

Each time I see a rainbow across the sky,

I’ll think of you

Giving me hope to move forward for another day.

Each time I see the twinkling stars in the night sky,

I’ll think of you

Shining brightly to remind me that you are still here.

Each time I see your big sister, Faith,

I’ll think of you, my sweet angel

Reminding me to have faith that we will soon be together again.

I will never forget....at the graveside service, a short, 2 minute rain right over us, a gust of wind and a butterfly flying by. When we arrived back at the chapel, I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, shining through the car window. I grabbed your daddy's hand and made sure he could feel it too. Thank you, I needed that. I'm so grateful for these small, tender mercies from God.. I guess God really does know what we need and when, even if isn't exactly what and when we hoped for.

10 comments:

Brittany & Garrett Best said...

That is a beautiful poem Laura! I am so glad that you have felt her presence with you and I hope it is making it a little bit easier to know she's there and always will be.

Traci said...

I love your poem, Laura. I couldn't believe how amazing it was to have the white butterfly and rain at the interment. What a beautiful way to show tender mercies. You are loved by so many. Mikkie was blessed into your amazing family, and she was so fortunate to have experienced that beautiful love from you and Tim.

Melita said...

What a beautiful heart-felt poem ... I do think that we are given signs that our loved ones are close by . Take care God be with you all many hugs Melita xx

The Sutton's said...

I love that poem! you are very talented and I know Mikkie was there and loved the poem too! We love you guys and pray for you!!

Jenny said...

I loved that poem as well...you are good at writing! I'm happy Faith had a better night...she's so sweet and cute. I'm so happy I was able to see you both today, and smiling, no less! You are amazing Laura!

Lisa R.D. said...

I am so happy to hear that Faith had a better night... I hope it continues to get better so that you can all get rest. I love your poem... I was amazed that you were able to read it during the funeral and I am thrilled that you have shared it here. I know there are tender mercies all around.

Christina Heywood said...

Hi Laura,
I just wanted to tell you that you are an amazing women and a wonderful example to all of us. I love you and will continue to pray for you and your family.

Kristy said...

I know we sure felt Mikkie at the graveside service...it was truly a miracle! Jeremy lost his nephew who was the same age as Mikkie, and I knew that the funeral would be a little harder on him than he would care to admit. He was holding it together so well until that little white butterfly came fluttering by and then the rain...it was just beautiful!
When you got up to read that poem, I was so inspired. the strength that it took to even be able to write that, let alone stand up and read it, is just so amazing. We just love your family to pieces...and especially little Faith! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

my friends little nephew past away early July also from drowning he also around the age of 2.. she had this posted on her blog and i wanted to share it with you. you may have already read it but i wanted to share in case you haven't!! ...Joseph smith
At the funeral of two-year-old Marian Lyon, the Prophetsaid:“We have again the warning voice sounded in our midst, which shows the uncertainty of human life; and in my leisure moments I have meditated upon the subject, and asked the question, why it is that infants, innocent children, are taken away from us, especially those that seem to be the most intelligent and interesting. The strongest reasons that present themselves to my mind are these: This world is a very wicked world; and it … grows more wicked and corrupt. … The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again. …

“… The only difference between the old and young dying is, one lives longer in heaven and eternal light and glory than the other, and is freed a little sooner from this miserable, wicked world. Notwithstanding all this glory, we for a moment lose sight of it, and mourn the loss, but we do not mourn as those without hope.”5

“A question may be asked—‘Will mothers have their children in eternity?’ Yes! Yes! Mothers, you shall have your children; for they shall have eternal life, for their debt is paid.”6

“Children … must rise just as they died; we can there hail our lovely infants with the same glory—the same loveliness in the celestial glory.”7

sorry it is so long but wanted to share.. my heart hurts for you and your family. you are in our thoughts and prayers!!

Michelle Nielson said...

I absolutly loved your poem you wrote. I cried through the whole thing!! It was so beautiful. And how amazing that those things happened at the gravesite. Mikkie is with you. How special is it to know that :) love you girl!