Wednesday, November 14, 2012

21 days closer Day 9

Follow.

'Great temporal and spiritual strength flows from following those who have the keys of the Kingdom of God in our time.' James E. Faust

King Benjamin gave five items of counsel in his conference address, that helps us apply the words of the prophet in our life.

1) Open your ears that ye may hear. Take time to listen to the Prophet.
2) Open your hearts that ye may understand. Sometimes we hear counsel that we don't understand; we should pray to have our hearts open to receive new understanding and we can receive confirmation of its truth.
3) Open your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to our view. Study. Reread Conference talks, especially the ones that touched or stood out to you.
4) Remember the words we have been taught. Identify and apply one principle at a time.
5) "And now, if you believe all these things, see that ye do them". Apply this direction in our lives.

President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "It is the opportunity, the responsibility of every man and woman in this church to obtain... a conviction of the truth of this great latter-day work and of those who stand at its head, even the Living God and the Lord, Jesus Christ."

Conference last month was phenomenal. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I soaked in every talk given, but there were a few that really stood out to me. The first one I heard was by Elder Shayne M. Bowen, "Because I live, Ye shall live also". It was a very much too close to home and hard to listen to, but was inspiring to hear. His words, though heart wrenching, brought me much comfort, especially coming from someone who has gone through what we have and understands! I love this part he shared:

 "Tyson has remained a very integral part of our family. Through the years it has been wonderful to see the mercy and kindness of a loving Father in Heaven, who has allowed our family to feel in very tangible ways the influence of Tyson. I testify that the veil is thin. The same feelings of loyalty, love, and family unity don’t end as our loved ones pass to the other side; instead, those feelings are intensified.
Sometimes people will ask, “How long did it take you to get over it?” The truth is, you will never completely get over it until you are together once again with your departed loved ones. I will never have a fulness of joy until we are reunited in the morning of the First Resurrection.
“For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;
“And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy.”3
But in the meantime, as the Savior taught, we can continue with good cheer.4
I have learned that the bitter, almost unbearable pain can become sweet as you turn to your Father in Heaven and plead for His comfort that comes through His plan; His Son, Jesus Christ; and His Comforter, who is the Holy Ghost."
 So very glad he stated out loud for all to hear that losing a child is NOT something we get over, and we cannot be fully happy until we are reunited. That's exactly how I feel, I am happy, I have so much to be grateful for, but I cannot be completely, fully, truly happy until all my sweet family are reunited together again. I also can testify that this bitter, unbearable, heart-wrenching pain can become sweet and we can be comforted as we turn to Heavenly Father. I continually plead for comfort and peace and without fail He is there to bless me with it. 

I'm very grateful for General Conference, I look at it as a breath of fresh air, and spiritually rejuvenating. A few years back I had been challenged to pray for answers I need before Conference and I would hear what I need to. I now do this every conference and pray the whole week prior, and it is amazing how when I hear a certain talk I just know it was meant for me, it was what I needed. That and the fact that all the speakers are in tune with the spirit and inspired, is yet another testimony that God is listening and He is aware of our needs and how very much He loves us.

0 comments: